Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Worst NFL Game Ever Played

In the 2008-2009 NFL Season, the Eagles played the Bengals in Week 11 to a 13-13 tie in quite possibly the worst NFL game ever played.

Bill Simmons wrote the following about the game:

"You know how Mike Holmgren is retiring after this season? I think Andy Reid retired three years ago. That's the only explanation. He just didn't tell us. Our friend Mike Lombardi did a nice job breaking down the epic "Four Two-Minute Drills" debacle Sunday in Cincinnati; that game was so unbelievably bad that NFL Films should be working on a one-hour documentary about it. I'm not even kidding. That was the worst football game ever played. We need to spend a solid year interviewing people and breaking down the key moments so we can place it in its proper historical perspective.

So, what would the Bengals-Eagles documentary be called? I vote for either "Four Hours Of Life That Nobody Will Get Back" or "The Longest Turd." Either of these will do. I don't care. And, yes, I wanted this show even before McNabb pushed the epicness (epicity? epiciousness? epicism?) of such a memorably putrid game by admitting he didn't know the overtime rules. I thought Warren Sapp summed it up well: "Donovan, your legacy will be throwing up in the Super Bowl, Rush Limbaugh and now -- not knowing there were ties!!!"


At least Donovan McNabb understands the NFL rules about ties now, right ?

1 comment:

J.J. said...

It may have been the worst football game ever, but I am thirsting for some football...any football...I'd watch this game right now...we are in the dog days of the NFL off-season...

BTW, this game also set off Jesse Thomas' infamous denouncement of McNabby on SportsMX.com, I would KILL to have a copy of that video...I shoulda copied it...dammit!